Magnum is tasked with guarding "Sir Algernon Farnsworth," a wealthy socialite's dog.
Higgins volunteers Magnum's services to guard a wealthy socialite's quarantined dog, after the attempted dognapping of the canine. Sir Algernon Farnsworth soon finds himself to be the most wanted dog in Hawaii, when his former owner, aging gangster Victor DiGiorgio, needs to get him back. Magnum and an animal regulations officer are soon on the run with Algie from the would-be dognappers -- and the fact that the officer seems to be scared of dogs doesn't exactly make matters any easier - but just why does DiGiorgio want the mutt back so badly?
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Michael V. Gazzo as Victor DiGorgio (credited as Michael Gazzo)
- Shawn Hoskins as Sharon Karns
- Paul Gale as Dog Shelter Guard
- Kathleen Nolan as Gloria Marston
- Michael Nader as Mitch Caldwell
- Jake Hoopai as Kono
- First episode to feature the Mike Post and Pete Carpenter Magnum P.I. theme music. It can be heard throughout the episode and over the closing credits from this episode onwards but it is not used yet over the opening credits until the episode number 12, Thicker Than Blood, which was its immediate answer.
- The familiar Magnum, P.I. theme is heard for the first time in this episode, on the closing credits as well as variations in the incidental music during the story. Written by Mike Post and Pete Carpenter, who have recorded numerous other themes, such as The Rockford Files and The A-Team, this theme would soon become the series' main theme, replacing the original one by Ian Freebairn-Smith that is used on the very early episodes. The seemingly never-ending 'looped' edit of the new theme used on this occasion was only used on one other episode, on the closing credits of "Don't Say Goodbye" later in the season
- Magnum: There are times when one human being really shouldn't take advantage of another, but this wasn't one of them.
- (The Lads are locked in a cage)
- Magnum: Cheer up Higgins. They'll forgive you... someday.
- Higgins: Oh, they quite understand... Believe me Magnum, I've explained to them precisely who's responsible for their incarceration. (smiles)
- (The Lads growl at Magnum)