Magnum inherits $50 million from a former client who died in a plane crash.
It's no laughing matter when a practical joker dies in a plane explosion. Magnum is the surprised heir to the man's vast estate - but is the killer who caused the explosion now after Hawaii's newest millionaire?
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Donnelly Rhodes as Wilson Arthur MacLeish
- Elaine Joyce as Cousin Marina Pepesco
- James Murtaugh as Simon MacLeish
- Michael DeLano as Cousin Anthony "Tony" Silvano (credited as Michael Delano)
- Raymond Singer as Benton Quirk
- Roscoe Lee Browne as Carlton
- Junne Barnes as Housekeeper
- Bruce Johnson as Frankenstein
- The revolver Carlton uses at the end is a target variant of the Colt Peacemaker called the Bisley, named for the well-known shooting match in England where it made its debut. It is a fairly rare piece today.
- This episode's narrative bears a number of similarities (a faked death, a hidden chamber where the "deceased" is holed-up) to the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of The Norwood Builder".
- Higgins: (Magnum is "playing" the saxophone) Magnum... Magnum!... Magnum!
- Magnum: Hi, Higgins!
- Higgins: How fiendishly deceptive of you, Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent. To my great surprise, I see the sounds are emanating from what I thought was a harmless musical instrument.
- Magnum: Cute, Higgins, real cute.
- (plays sax again)
- Higgins: Why, Magnum? Why do this terrible thing?
- Magnum: Higgins, I'll have you know I was very good. I was the second best sax player in my High School band.
- Higgins: Well, how many sax players were there?
- Magnum: Anyway, I just saw this in a pawn shop window and thought I'd like to try and get my chops back.
- Higgins: May I suggest that your "chops" are irretrievable.
- Magnum: Higgins, did you come here just to abuse me?